The new generation of the gadget of all gadgets, the one and only iPhone, has been announced. The iPhone 3G S. It pretty much follows the rumours that have been bandied around on the blogosphere and maybe that is why I'm still slightly under-whelmed.
The trouble with technology is that it advances so quickly that it's hard to keep up. In trying to keep up, we expect the next big thing to leapfrog the last big thing, well I do anyway. Given that there are phones out there packing 8 mega pixel cameras and the 3G S offers just 3 is one disappointment; one key reason for me to have held back from spending lots of cash and changing phone provider. Even so, I'll have to remind myself one thing. Rather than judging the iPhone on the amount of features and how it'll fare against the competition, I'll appraise it's usefulness for my needs.
- A good quality phone. tick
- Speakerphone. tick. Great for being kept on hold by call centres
- Camera. Uh er. I'll just have to buy a cheap small digital camera
- Synchronise with my Mac. tick
- On the go internet. tick. So I can be more spontaneous with blogging
- Reliability. tick. If it runs as smoothly as my Mac then all's good