Monday 25 April 2011

cute name

One of my lovely listeners has said that Plumstead is a cute name and I tend to agree.


I've always like the name. It has a nice sound and comes across as friendly, almost as if it should be a little village in Norfolk..... what are the chances of that happening eh?

I love the study of entomology. No, wrong one, I meant etymology. Of course, Plumstead is so-called because it was once home to many fruit orchards. Similarly, Hampstead is a derivation of homestead and Chipstead was home to the nation's favourite fish accompaniment¹. I just don't know what to make of Wetwang.

footnote
1 - may or may not be true

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Plumstead is a place in Norfolk! I stumbled across this blog looking for information on my own community just east of Norwich!

Doctor Pangloss said...

I too have stumbled across a leafy little place called Plumstead in Norfolk when Googling [for the record, there are other search engines available].

Perhaps this could be a twin town thing? Or something like when schools have foreign exchange students swapping lives for a few days. Town mouse and country mouse.

Perhaps not.